Why You Should Buy a Colgate 26
More Safety Features Than Any Other Like Sailboat
The perfect boat for family sailing, all the safety features and design qualities listed below are standard on the Colgate 26. This highly responsive mid-sized sailboat is extremely well balanced and can be sailed easily with just the jib or the mainsail alone. The Colgate 26 has a huge cockpit for a boat of this size, able to comfortably seat families with lots of kids who love to dangle their feet in the water while sitting on the low stern. The Colgate 26 cockpit is also spacious enough to accommodate as many as four couples out for a pleasure sail (as told to Steve Colgate by a Colgate 26 owner).
Better Stability Than Any Other Sailboat in This Size Range
Stability is a huge benefit in the Colgate 26 design features. The Colgate 26 is so stable and floats so high, even in a knockdown water does not get into the cabin. Also, there are no through-hull openings in the standard sail-away model.
If you are sailing this boat with beginners, or using it in a sailing school environment, an extra mainsheet release on the traveler provides ultimate control – like dual steering in a driver’s ed course. Note the instructor holding the lazy end of the mainsheet in the photo.
A Durable, Easy to Repair Sailboat with Very Low Maintenance
Of the many Colgate 26 sailboat design features that make this boat so special, Steve Colgate made sure the Colgate 26 is easy and quick to put away at end of the day, and at the end of season.
The Colgate 26 is almost maintenance-free Because of its solid fiberglass hull construction, and a solid rubber bumper over the hull deck connection, bonded and secured with stainless bolts about every six inches.
Reinforced fiberglass in the bow, mast support and keel attachment areas, all provide additional strength. The deck is sandwiched with core cell foam for extra rigidity. The rubrail deflects waves outboard, making the Colgate 26 a surprisingly dry boat to sail.
Features That Make the Colgate 26 the Safest Sailboat You’ll Find In the 25-35’ Class Range
- Positive foam flotation makes the Colgate 26 virtually unsinkable
- Rigid railings along cockpit are a huge safety advantage
- Massive tiller head and rudder post solve weaknesses found on other boats
- Roller furling jib allows quick and balanced sail area reduction
- Mainsail reefing system is simple and fast when heavy winds occur
- Solid boom vang prevents boom from falling on sailors aboard
- High boom and gooseneck reduces chance of boom hitting a sitting person
- Overbuilt mast and oversized stays and shrouds reduce chance of losing mast
- Swept back spreaders keep mast in place if backstay fails with no need for running backs
- Traveler is aft of crew positions, so mainsheet won’t snag a person in a flying jibe
- The low transom makes it easy to get a person back on board
- Stainless eye in anchor locker holds bitter end of anchor line in place
- Compass is mounted on bulkhead for easy navigation
- Required navigation lights are included for nighttime sailing or powering
- All cockpit hatches are self-bailing, do not open into cabin
- Water can only get inside through companionway hatch
- Battery is sunk into the flooring and strapped in position
- A pump in the cockpit facilitates bailing the bilge
- Four 4-bolt cleats provide safe towing
- The strong bow eye secures tie-down on trailer or a safety line at mooring
- Eight oversized stainless bolts lock keel in place
More Colgate Design Features That Make This Boat Easy to Rig, Repair and Sail
- Stainless mast tabernacle makes it easy to rig and raise the mast
- Self-bailing cockpit storage locker on starboard and port sides help keep the boat dry
- Winch handles float and won’t sink if fall overboard
- Stainless steel outboard motor bracket is standard equipment
- There is lockable storage in the cockpit
- An extra fuel tank compartment allows for longer motoring options
- Non-skid on deck is rougher and tougher than normal for a boat this size
- Bow pulpit does not extend past bow, to avoid bending on pilings or sea walls
- The only wood on the Colgate 26 is the tiller
- Massive bronze tiller head is the same used on much larger 33-foot boats
- Rudder rotates 360 degrees without hitting anything, allowing crew to skull the boat backwards out of a slip